I read the article 'Race to The Finish' which discussed the Barkley Marathons, the "toughest race on Earth" according to the Currents4Kids article.
I really enjoyed this article. It packed tons of cool and interesting information and a story into one neatly organized and easy to understand article. It effectively combined all the necessities for the article and key points to really make it worth the read. An example would be their cool subtitles. One of the subtitles was called "When the going gets tough..." and the next one was "The tough get going", which is a popular saying creatively implemented into the article.
I think that the Barkley Marathons challenge is a really interesting concept. Having the best marathon runners fighting against the clock instead of each other is a really creative and entertaining idea. As for the challenge itself, I would really pity those who have the guts to do this, even if they are trained and know what they are doing.
I have a question though. How would they monitor the racers at all times to make sure they didn't have outside help or use a phone? Unless you have expensive cameras or people around the entirety of the Barkley Marathons, you can't be sure that the competitors aren't cheating and getting help from people not inside the Marathons that could be providing them with GPS equipment or even collecting the checkpoint books for them.
I feel really bad for that made it six seconds too late. I mean, SIX SECONDS out of a SIXTY HOUR marathon! Especially the most grueling and difficult marathon in Canada, possibly the world. How would you feel if you were six seconds away from being the sixteenth person in the world to accomplish something, and you fail? I wish him all my luck for next year if he participates again!
In conclusion, the Barkley Marathons is an awesome and cool idea, but evil and difficult at the same time. That's a great combination for a competitive and intense challenge that tests even the world's best. As for me, I rather sit in my heated home and play video games, but whatever floats their boat is fine with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment