Friday, February 3, 2017

Canada 150

   For Canada 150th birthday,  I want to take a leap into one of my favourite things and prove Canada is the best at making it. And that, of course is...
Image result for food

   Yes, food. From Tim Horton's to smoked breakfast ham to donuts to buffets. Canada is one of the few countries in the world that can truly bring out the food in everything, and make some of the most tasty and healthy meals on the planet. I feel Canada is not recognized enough for both amazing gourmet dishes and our plants and animals exclusive to Canada and I want to talk about one of the mandatory things required for living.
   Some questions I have are:
   What is Canada national dish?
   How do other countries view Canadian cuisine?
   Why do we not have a Dunkin' Donuts?
   What kind of cuisine do we have that other countries do not?
   Where did the name Canadian bacon come from?
   What is the history of food in Canada?
   What was the first foods introduced in Canada?

   Now it's time for research.

  The History Of Canadian Food

   Originally, Canadian food wasn't the tasty Montreal Smoked Meat in a freshly baked bun with maple syrup we know and gobble up as fast as you can say "butter tarts for dessert!", it was the Northern Native peoples with foraged plants and fresh game such as caribou and deer, and eventually they started using taps to obtain sap from trees and create maple syrup. And then came the Europeans. The Europeans were kind of like how we would see a time traveler from the distant future to the Native Canadians. "Look at our majestic spices! Observe as we use grapes and chemicals to make wine! Watch as we--" you get the picture. But even though we had so many things perfect in Canada, we weren't officially a nation until 1867. But finally, as soon as we settle and are declared a nation, delicious recipes are finally on the rise. Probably one of the most iconic of these inventions, le poutine, was invented by a clever and revolutionary Canadian trucker decided to ask for cheese curds on his fries. Yes. A trucker. No restaurant, just a hungry trucker and an idea. By the way, poutine has been officially declared Canada's national dish!

  Dunkin' Donuts V Tim Horton's

   The food war to end all food wars, the unofficially best places to get a donut in the world, and World War Coffee are just some ways to describe the mindset of someone deciding between which is better: Dunkin' Donuts or Tim Horton's. Even though they are both in a different country, Canadians and Americans are in war when it comes to deciding which is better. They have very similar selections like breakfast sandwiches, mini donuts, coffee and the classic glazed donut, but each one has a different taste and style.

  Why I Chose Food

   The Canadian legacy isn't just beaver furs and saying 'eh' over and over, it's about the things that make Canada unique from every other country in the world. And, as an expert in quality and nutritious cuisine, I am really enjoying learning more and more about classic food and drink straight from our very own nation - Canada.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you added your own thoughts and why you chose food and the history of Canadian food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Star- I liked your questions and how you answered them.
    Star- I liked how you put the writing is in your own words
    Wish- I wish you answered more questions or put more information on your last paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete